The Woodlands Town Center serves as a downtown for The Woodlands, Texas, as well as a regional activity center comprised of major mixed use development on 1,200 acres. Development includes 14 million square feet of commercial retail space; 3,000 residential units; and 1,700 hotel rooms. Town Center includes a regional shopping center, convention center, marina, two lakes, waterway and transitway systems, research and office facilities, high density housing, hotel and restaurant complexes, and a central park with an amphitheater. Special emphasis has been placed on pedestrian amenities and open space. Town Center is located in the heart of The Woodlands and is the central business district for North Harris and South Montgomery Counties.
TGC developed a plan that:
- Reviewed Town Center land uses, their interactions, and peak traffic characteristics.
- Examined impact of growth in the region.
- Determined effect of external mobility improvements to and within Town Center.
- Determined the feasibility of Town Center terminal east of Interstate 45 in the business complex.
- Suggested modifications to proposed land use to reduce parking requirements and peak roadway traffic and enhance transit usage.
- TGC also considered similar projects elsewhere, analyzed technology types, and recommended phasing approaches.
TGC explored alternative financial strategies and prepared development costs for various implementation phases.
TGC prepared a Federal Transit Administration grant application which secured funding to support this study of appropriate mechanisms for the early integration of a pedestrian/transit corridor into a major development rather than an add-on after the fact.