TGC excels in assisting its clients from the first step in the planning process to the final ribbon cutting in the implementation of projects. In addition to the nuts and bolts of tradition transit planning, TGC pays close attention to funding and implementation strategies. We support our clients in the identification and pursuit of federal and state funding sources, including providing benefits analysis and project positioning to improve funding attraction. On the local level, TGC focuses on consensus and partnership building and the identification of leverage opportunities.
Areas of Expertise
- Funding Pursuit – TGC has identified over $1 billion in resources to assist its clients to successfully implement their projects. TGC works with local, state, and federal agencies to program and procure funding for its clients. Services include identifying appropriate federal and state funding sources, developing grant justification packages and grant applications; and providing support assistance for ranking, funding allocation, and adoption of client projects in regional and state Transportation Improvement Programs.
- Financial Capacity Analysis – TGC assists clients to complete FTA required financial capacity analysis plans to develop both short-term and long-term capital and operating goals. The analysis projects revenue and expenses resulting from the implementation of the recommended transit service program. From this, TGC measures the financial capacity to implement and sustain the proposed services.
- Grant Development and Management – TGC has extensive experience in the development federal grants. Our financial reviews of grants have resulted in the ability to reprogram funding in many older grants to the advantage of a client’s transit requirements. TGC has also been instrumental in recovering, Federal and State grant funding disallowed through audits by Federal and State agencies. TGC has also facilitated many public/private partnerships to support various Transportation Systems. These partnerships have helped to leverage additional Federal and State funding and assisted clients in keeping its general fund commitment to public transportation at reasonable levels.
- Innovative Finance – TGC’s financial strategy depends on a combination of value-capture, federal funding, and value-capture and transfer through the LONP.
- Joint Development Partnerships – TGC believes that, when public and private interests work together, they both win by sharing costs. TGC has been instrumental in forging multiple joint development partnerships to develop capital facilities in El Paso and the Houston-Galveston region.
- Letter of No Prejudice – A LONP is one of many innovative finance tools utilized by TGC. LONP authority allows an applicant to incur costs on a future project using non-Federal resources with the understanding that the costs incurred after the LONP is issued may be reimbursable as eligible expenses or eligible for credit toward the local match should the FTA approve the project at a later date. LONPs are applicable to projects not covered by automatic pre-award authority. TGC’s LONP approach recognizes that eligible capital expenditures will be supported with non-Federal resources in the short-term but are eligible for future reimbursement or as credit toward local match. TGC has secured approximately $244 million in LONP authority for our Texas clients.